WELCOME!

Hi! My name is Donna Boyce Trexler Geertz ... I grew up in Tarrytown, NY and attended Sleepy Hollow High School. I now live in Port Saint Lucie, Florida. You are invited to join me as I share thoughts and contemplations along my journey in life (68 years). I have lost two husbands within the last several years. My first late husband, Bart Trexler, whom I co-pastored a church near Charleston, SC, died from a brain tumor in December 2004, and on Feb 1, 2013 my husband Joe Geertz from complications with a gallbladder operation.

“PEACH LAKE MEMORIES is a compilation of 15 Chapters / vignettes, including pictures, filled with fond remembrances and thoughts of years gone by as I was growing up.
If you scroll down on the right hand side the different chapters are listed, under the faint wording that says "blog archive"..Just click on any one that may interest you.

I have also posted many other stories too on this blog!!
I do hope you enjoy taking a walk down memory lane with me!

M
ay God bless you richly today~

**As a side note, I have other blogs too... 18 in fact.. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will you will see a smiley sun graphic.. right under that is the list of my other blogs. Just double click on any one that interests you.




SWEET SONG OF THE PAST

How fast childhood years have flashed by
When hop scotch, jump rope and
pick up stixs where things we played.
Hoola hoops and old maid where so much fun,
comics and mystery books, and boats in the sun.
Oh, to go back to the old ways,
when skate keys and scraped knees
where all part of the phase of growing up!

My dollies where my constant companions,
and playing teatime delighted me so,
Mommy, will you be my turtle,
and help me make a bow,
talk to me for hours,
and swing me soft and low?

Times of lemonade and gingersnaps,
Dragonflies and sitting on my Grandpa’s lap
Swedish pancakes with raspberry jam,
and of course my favorite, swiss cheese and ham!

I took it all for granted, and then childhood faded away
To a place in my mind, where only whisps of it remain.

Oh, to go back to skipping stones, and princess phones,
Fishing with bobbers, and fireflies aglow
and yelling “catch me Daddy” off the dock.
Praying with Mom as we watched the cows graze,
All locked in my mind .. such wonderful days.

In these golden times,
I am grateful for the childhood I had,
knowing it is over sometimes makes me sad.
But, today holds memories of its own,
thank you Lord, I have someone to share it with
I am not alone.

©Donsie's Dialogs 2011 written by Donna 2011



Monday, June 20, 2011

PEACH LAKE MEMORIES CHAPTER 8 - GRANDPA BOYCE & NANA, CONNECTICUT & FAMILY TIMES

PEACH LAKE MEMORIES CHAPTER 8 – GRANDPA BOYCE & NANA, CONNECTICUT & FAMILY TIMES










Nana and Grandpa Boyce my sister just sent this and the next two to me, I had never even seen them.. they made me cry


Dad, Aunt Mickie and friend


Henry, Mickie, Sophie and Dad

Dad, Uncle Henry, Mom and Aunt Eleanor


I enjoyed playing with my hula hoop, although I never really mastered the thing, but I did like the game ball and jax and I had some pretty marbles, but never knew quite what to do with them. Even back then it seems I had a desire for making jewelry, as I would think to myself, if I could only get a hole in those marbles they could be strung and make a nice necklace. I did like to jump rope and play hopscotch, but I only ever did that in Tarrytown, as the roads in the country weren't paved, and i had no one to jump rope with but myself at the lake! I loved playing Old Maid with Nana and Go Fish when I was younger and I would walk down to the end of the lane and we would sit out on the patio and have milk and cookies or kool aid and play cards together.

Animal Rummy
Hula Hoop
Old Maid Card Game
Marbles

One time I went up to a barn at the end of our lane and went inside. It was dark even though the day outside was sunny and I could smell the aroma of soured hay. I ventured further in to the barn and all of a sudden out of the darkness came a flurry of wings in my direction. I jumped like a rabbit trying to see what was coming at me and realized they were bats!!! It scared me half to death and I ran all the way home and told my mother. She was in a panic telling me that if bats ever got caught in my hair they would make a nest! Yikes!! I obviously NEVER went back to that barn again. Who knew that years later we would end up having bats in the attic of a house we lived in, what a dramatic time getting them out, We also would refurbish barns to live in years later. A labor of love our whole family was part of.


Our barns in Pough- keepsie NY before recon- struction




From dilapidated old barns to a home! Lots of work and love. Mark pictured here was so instrumental in the completion of this place. All the children spent many many hours and years accomplishing this what a some times seemed never ending task.
But, back to Peach Lake.....




Grandpa Boyce and Me


Nana, Dad and Me



My Grandparents on my Father’s side had a bungalow at the end of the canal with a large porch. Nana was an amazing woman who had come to the United States from Sweden on a boat as a young girl by herself, and lived with Elsie and Ackey, who were either relatives or friends, I don’t know, but they were like family. They lived near the Connecticut shore, and Elsie had done catering. I so enjoyed our visits there as they had a pretty flower arbor in the backyard with the most fragrant roses on trellises, and a swing I just loved being on. When the adults were inside, I had the whole garden to myself to daydream and swing. I have loved swings my whole life, and when I became older we had one in our house. It was the place I would go to find solace and to talk with the Lord. Ackey was a bird watcher and so they had somehow gotten some neat birds to come to their garden. They had hummingbirds and some other colorful birds. I was allowed to use Ackey’s binoculars in the backyard and observing the hummingbird’s close-up drinking out of the bird feeder they had set up. It was a delight to me.

Rose Arbor
Hummingbirds
Swing

Fairfiled Beach, Conn. Elsie and Ackey's with Gwen







I also loved going to the shore with them. One time we had a picnic there and I saw a woman who was pregnant and I asked my father why her stomach was so big, and he told me it was because she had eaten too many watermelon seeds. After that encounter, I was sure to spit out all my seeds when having watermelon! Another time we had a picnic at a covered area and I wanted to go walk out at low tide with my father on the beach. My mother suggested I wear my little rubber shoes, but Dad said I would be okay. Well, we had not bargained for the tiny biting crabs that come out at low tide. And, I got bitten to pieces. My father had to carry me back crying and telling him I would never go to the water again without my rubber slippers!

Connec- ticut Low Tide Crab




One time when we were visiting, Elsie taught my mother how to make fancy carrot curls and flower radishes. My mother loved to cook and to make things look so special. My Grandmother had learned how to do fine catering from them. “Nana”, as we called her was an excellent cook and she had a gift of being able to prepare for crowds of people. She made it look so simple, a trait I believe I got from her. My sister too, as she would have the whole family for Christmas almost every year and made it look so simple. She worked full time as a teacher, and raised my two nephews and she was the one along with my mother who kept the family ties together. Thank you Gwen for doing that. You are loved! Now it's been passed down to the children.



Christ -mas at Tom and Gwen's


Bart, Aunt Joyce with Uncle Chuck & me in back ground at Tom and Gwen's


At Tom and Gwen's


Christ- mas in Pough- keepsie


At Grandpa and Grandma Nickels, Cousin Bruce, Gwen and Me


Carmen's for Christ- mas, cousin Donna, Bobbie, Greg and Gary


Happy first birthday Chip with Fred, and Tommy, I am pregnant with Todd


Uncle Tom with Chip Easter vacation in Florida


Grandpa and Grandma Trexler


Bobbie and Greg's wedding


Gwen, Tom, Tommy in forefront, Chip on someone's lap, and Greg with me


Family at Chip's Christ- ening Rome, NY


Bobbie and me Christ- mas Day



With Carmen, Bart's sister and Mark on our wedding day


at Carmen's, Bart's sister


July 4th weekend Tarry- town Hudson River Beach North Tarry- town with Dad and Mom's friends (like family) and Chip on my lap


July4th parade in Tarry- town with Nani, Popa (Fred's parents, Gwen, Tommy with me in fore- front


Trexler Family Reunion Lancaster, PA Willow Valley Resort with Brittany and me


Trexler Family Reunion at Hershey PA


Friends


and Birthday parties with Bethany!

Good friend Carol


my babygirl Willette and Joe


super high school friends Chris and Roger


The Vail's being honored at our church Hrt2Hrt


Tom and Gwen's Christ- mas


My friend Lynne wearing necklace Joe made


Reeeeeg and Vanessa from Cali- fornia


Jer Deloach, Chuck and Leigh and Sharon Harper at JoAnn and Jerry's


sweet Karen from Alaska


Lynne with Angela


my precious Sandy she says we've known each other since "dirt"!


my Miss Maryanne at a weekend getaway in Pigeon Forge, TN with JoAnn too!!


Joe and Rick at the Parrott's

my Carol from FL

Sid and Joel from Alabama.. like our family



My new friend Lynne who purchased Chanel


Tony and Lynne wearing the Bismuth necklace Joe made


Joe and Beth praying for Rochelle


Busch Gardens


Clear- water Beach


Joe flirting with Minnie!


In the Smokies


with Gidget in Iowa with Joe


In Gatlin- burg at Fudge Shop


July 4th parade in Musca- tine, Iowa


Joe and Reggie in Kansas


Joe and Me in Kansas


JoAnn meeting Joe and Gidget and me in Kansas .. we went to IHOP too!


in our cabin in Branson, Missouri


In Iowa in our favorite Chinese restaurant


Patti's settl= ement Ken- tucky


with Caroline Joe's sister and John her husband in Iowa


with Jessica and Scott


Rose and Jessica


my Joe


Joe leading orphans in a dance to the Lord in India


plotting the course at shell factory in Fort Myers


at Gaylord's Nash- ville, TN


at JoAnn's with Chanel


with Chip family cruise


In Iowa





My Kate, Michelle and bff JoAnn


my dear friend Regis with son Bubba


my sweet Heather


With my Bethany and Jude


My Kate and My JoAnn


sweet Sally and Me in Arizona


me with my dear Sandy


missing my friends Maryann, Caroline, JoAnn


Diamond's "coming out" party! with Mama Rochelle!


Tina's surprise birthday at my home in SC


My daughter Keri with Jeshua and Zach


my best friend forever Connie


my Godchild Heather and Joe


sweet Kate and Sally


my mooofassa sonshine gal!

The winners!!


Jeshua and Todd


Fred and Todd with a BIG fish!!


Master Filet er!

Joe's Brother Charles in Florida with us and his wife Caroline


Joe with his brother Charles

Jaimie and Me


Jaimie and Me



precious Michelle


Outside Charles- ton House of Prayer with JoAnn


Sandy and JoAnn


Keri, Kate and Gidget


Karen, Bobbie and Maryann


Bobbie and Greg Trexler grad- uation with Carmen and Donna


at Catskill Game Farm with one of my favorite people in the world Elaine Cooney, who had been my babysitter.. she had six children.. shown with Susan, Maureen and Frankie and me. ..


William- sburg, Va with Chip


Judi and Keri at Christmas


Mark on fishing trip weekend with Bart and Frank Mal- grande


with Gwen, Susan, Maureen, Shannon and me


Todd, Keri and Chip at Sylvan Lake


Lake Ticon- deroga with the children


Drea's Christening at Jupiter Bch, FL Todd, CJ, Amber, Chip, Tommy, Bart, me, Jay and of course, Drea!

Our Pastors.. Mark and Joy Mobley with Han- nah and Caleb



Maree and Jack from NZ dear inter- net friend and her husband


at Todd's with Mom giving away her treasures from her sold condo


Family get togethers


Impro- mptu weekend get together at Inner Harbor, Maryland with Keri, Marty and Jeshua and Zach


Friends like family Beth and Jessica Vail and Gidget #1


my precious Julie


My Beth and Jessica


my Julie and Kate at JoAnn's


My Karen, Cheryl and JoAnn


with my Steve Vail


Good friends


with my Jocelyn


friends with my Willette and JoAnn at MaryAnne's


with my Jax and Chris in Colorado


Tony and Lynne Barletta such a dear couple


My precious friend from NZ Maree


Kuzia's Donna, Mark and Elijah good friends


friends of Bart out to dinner just before his death


The Stoep- pler's good friends


Birthday with Bart, Jerry and Joann and other friends



Me with my childhood friend Annette

Donna with Mom and childhood Fran sitting



My family in sorrow at Bart's memorial service.. thanks Bob for taking this one


Rhode Island light house on way to Misquam- icut with Chip and Todd


At Hershey with my children



With our church Heart To Heart Family


Brandon, Drea, Zach and Me


Out to dinner to meet Joe's daughter and her friends


Jeshua and Zach Pumpkin Patchin'
Peanut Pickin' Pumpkins


Bart and Rhiannon


Suzanne, Gwen, Mom and Todd at Cheese- cake Factory West Palm Beach, FL



Out to dinner Chip, precious Brandon, Gwen and Me in picture .. thanks Bob for taking this one!


My precious girls CJ, Jamie, and Keri


Mini reunion with Joe's family in Iowa


Treas- ured moments Joe, Chip, Jamie and Me


My babies all grown up Chip, Todd and Mark


Mark, Chip, Todd and friend



"NOOOOOOOO Drea.. not ALLLLLLL the gifts are for YOU.. these are for Paige"!!!


Christ- mas at Todd's


Christ- mas time with Chip and Jamie

Christ- mas time with Chip and Jamie



Christ- mas at Todd's Bob, Gwen, Jackie and Tommy


Happy me with Logan and Drea!


In Iowa with Joe's Family .. his sister Caroline and brother in law John


Todd and CJ's with Tommy


Awwww I made this years ago.. so glad CJ and Todd now have it ..


Me and my honey Joe at Todd's for Christ- mas


Christ- mas time 2010 at Bob and Gwen's for dinner with Joe my sweetie


at Todd's Chris- tmas 2010


Out to dinner Easter- time 2003 in FL just before Cruise with my Mom


Chip and Todd with Bart


Colin and me out to dinner what a cool kid!


Mom and Todd


Chip and Brandon at our hotel at Easter 2003


Family times together CJ and Drea


Paige.. what a cutie!

Julie girls night out!


Fred face painting Drea


Fred and Julie


New Life.. CJ, Julie, Paige and Drea

cousins and friends forever Paige, Amber and Justin


Jeshua, Zach, Paige, CJ and Drea at Seaworld


Paige's Birthday


Keri playing peek -aboo with Drea



Easter Sunrise with Joe and Brandon


Family times at Fred and Julie's great fun for all!


Kids jusst gotta have fun


Family and friends at Fred and Julie's


Joe Gidget and Me at our own service with Chip and Jamie Easter Sunday Morn



Chip and Jamie at Concert


Together for Dad's funeral


At Tommy and Jackie's for Chris- tmas


out to dinner with Court- land, Stephie, Kaylin and Shaina with Grandma Boyce SC


Stephie and Shaina


Tommy, Fred and Todd fishing


Baby Showers


Christmas at Keri's


Birthday Parties


Easter Sunday


Family fun in Florida


Jamie and Me

Todd and Drea meeting Joe dinner at Nick's Tomato Pie

Easter Mardis Gras with Rose and friends


at Universal Studios Easter


Thanks- giving 2010 at Todd and CJ's .. Chip and Tommy . . Colin and Todd in background


Bob leading Thanks-
giving prayer at Todd's


Todd carving the Turkey with a story! LOL

Todd wanted to do some- thing special for Thanks-giving by having a fresh killed turkey. He ordered it, and when he went to pick it up the bird was still alive.. they just sold them, but not killed and dressed, so he had to take this live turkey to his friends house and leave it there roaming free until he could drive home. When they picked up the bird, was a flurry and had pooped every- where. Yikes!! I guess it was quite a mess for Todd's friend to have to clean up and Todd still had the gruesome task of having to kill this bird. His sister and brother came to help and I guess they got the job done.. poor Todd.. he so wanted to make things special.. what trauma.. huh? I must admit, I didn't have any of that turkey.. I tried, but it just wouldn't go down.. Todd has a heart of gold.


Bart used to pick out some- thing special for each one of the children after all the gifts were opened it was so neat and the children loved it.. Todd has his own special trad- ition. He has picked out a special stuffed bear each Christ- mas for Paige and Snow- globes for Drea. They can play with them while the tree is up and then they go up to the attic to be brought down Christ- mas Eve year after year. Paige has an adorable collec- tion of bears. .what a unique and thought- ful idea!


My house Thanks- giving with Chip's family


Peanut at my home in Pough- keepsie


Family together in good times and bad times .. that is what it is all about..



Good times to rem-
ember


©PEACH LAKE MEMORIES 5/21/11
Peach Lake Memories is a 15 Chapter book with vignettes about my childhood memories. It is copyrighted. Please ask for permission before using any information in my book. Thank you .. donnatrex@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment