WELCOME!

Hi! My name is Donna Boyce Trexler Geertz ... I grew up in Tarrytown, NY and attended Sleepy Hollow High School. I now live in Port Saint Lucie, Florida. You are invited to join me as I share thoughts and contemplations along my journey in life (68 years). I have lost two husbands within the last several years. My first late husband, Bart Trexler, whom I co-pastored a church near Charleston, SC, died from a brain tumor in December 2004, and on Feb 1, 2013 my husband Joe Geertz from complications with a gallbladder operation.

“PEACH LAKE MEMORIES is a compilation of 15 Chapters / vignettes, including pictures, filled with fond remembrances and thoughts of years gone by as I was growing up.
If you scroll down on the right hand side the different chapters are listed, under the faint wording that says "blog archive"..Just click on any one that may interest you.

I have also posted many other stories too on this blog!!
I do hope you enjoy taking a walk down memory lane with me!

M
ay God bless you richly today~

**As a side note, I have other blogs too... 18 in fact.. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will you will see a smiley sun graphic.. right under that is the list of my other blogs. Just double click on any one that interests you.




SWEET SONG OF THE PAST

How fast childhood years have flashed by
When hop scotch, jump rope and
pick up stixs where things we played.
Hoola hoops and old maid where so much fun,
comics and mystery books, and boats in the sun.
Oh, to go back to the old ways,
when skate keys and scraped knees
where all part of the phase of growing up!

My dollies where my constant companions,
and playing teatime delighted me so,
Mommy, will you be my turtle,
and help me make a bow,
talk to me for hours,
and swing me soft and low?

Times of lemonade and gingersnaps,
Dragonflies and sitting on my Grandpa’s lap
Swedish pancakes with raspberry jam,
and of course my favorite, swiss cheese and ham!

I took it all for granted, and then childhood faded away
To a place in my mind, where only whisps of it remain.

Oh, to go back to skipping stones, and princess phones,
Fishing with bobbers, and fireflies aglow
and yelling “catch me Daddy” off the dock.
Praying with Mom as we watched the cows graze,
All locked in my mind .. such wonderful days.

In these golden times,
I am grateful for the childhood I had,
knowing it is over sometimes makes me sad.
But, today holds memories of its own,
thank you Lord, I have someone to share it with
I am not alone.

©Donsie's Dialogs 2011 written by Donna 2011



Monday, June 20, 2011

PEACH LAKE MEMORIES CHAPTER 12 - TIME WITH NANA, BABS AND CHRISTINE

CHAPTER 12- TIME WITH NANA, BABS & CHRISTINE

Me with Nana and Aunt Sophie, Dad's Mother and sister


When I became pre-teen age, I did spend time with Nana when she lived at Bloomers side, after my Grandfather died. I had a chance to get to know my cousin Babs at that time. I do remember going up to the Country Club grounds at night with a blanket to sit and talk with some of Bab’s friends. We had fun going over to the Pavilion and sitting on the porch. Also, when I became a teenager, my parents took me to Fort Lauderale, FL with my other cousin Christine where I was able to get my first bikini.. I am really surprised my parents allowed me to do this and Christine and myself got the exact same ones.. so cute spring green and white check hip hugger type.. somewhere in my mass assortment of pictures I have one of us wearing our newly purchased suits!

My Mom, Aunt Sophie and Aunt Eleanor at my parents home


I liked sitting by the beach, but only in short spurts, as I was not like my sister who could sit for hours in the sun. I did love to swim and was told I was like a fish in the water. I especially loved going out to the float and laying out there for long periods of time. I loved the way it gently rocked me with the water currents underneath. It made me feel like I was on a boat out in the Ocean. I also loved to swim underneath the float where it was cool and quiet, and you could hear your own echo. I have always liked being alone with my own thoughts during my life. It kind of puts things back into perspective, don’t you think?

I have fond memories of going to the Pavilion on bingo night with Nana. She was the “Bingo Queen” and I can remember all the prizes you could win if you were lucky that night lined up on a table.




Me with Dad and Nana

I also fondly recall picnics near the water, and sitting in the back porch of their cottage with Nana’s treadle sewing machine, and a crocheted throw blanket, and cooking out on the front porch.


Vintage Treadle sewing Machine

My Uncle Pepe and Aunt Mickey (my father’s sister) were great to me as well as my Uncle Henry (my father’s younger brother) and Aunt Eleanor. Aunt Mickey was my father’s sister and she was married to Uncle Pepe. They had two children Bobby who was closer to my sister’s age and older than I was, and Babs. Nana lived with them as she became older. They owned a restaurant nearby called “Pepe’s”, and had the best meatball subs (we called them wedges) and sausage pepper and onions, and great Italian food. Westchester County area is the only one where they call Subs, wedges from what I understand from a show on the TV Food Network. Pepe's Place was probably what you would have called one of the original sports bars with a twist as it served really good Italian food along with the regular all american fare. They also at some point had a restaurant in Poughkeepsie, NY where my children were raised most of their lives.


Dad and Mom years later in Florida


With Mark when he was young, Aunt Joyce, Mom, Maureen Cooney and me


Family with Nana


Gwen and me at after parade party with Grandpa and Grandma Nickels


Our family on Father's side


My father had another older sister Sophie and she was married to Uncle John Joe and had a daughter who was near my sister’s age by the name of Joanie D. I don’t know why we always used the first letter of her last name all the time, I guess because her last name was Dwyer.. I never could figure that out, but she was a fun cousin to be around. She was funny and a tease like my sister. They did not have a bungalow at the Lake as I remember, but she seemed to be there quite a bit. My sister went to Cape May, NJ and such with them on summer trips. Cape May is beautiful vacation spot on the ocean in a picturesque setting of old Victorian homes and darling little unique and charming shops. If you ever are in the southernmost tip of New Jersey be sure to stop by that area and there is also a great restaurant my husband and I visit when there called ~ The Lobster House, 906 Schellengers Landing Road, Cape May, NJ 609-884-8296 and also a cute restaurant for breakfast overlooking the ocean: Uncle Bill’s Pancake House, Perry and Beach Streets, 609-884-7194

Cousin Joanie and my sister Gwen are still close and go on vacation trips and class reunions together to this day. We all live in Florida now. My sister about one mile away and Joanie about twenty minutes. I really should plan a lunch date with them as I have not seen my cousin in years!

©PEACH LAKE MEMORIES 5/21/11
Peach Lake Memories is a 15 Chapter book with vignettes about my childhood memories. It is copyrighted. Please ask for permission before using any information in my book. Thank you .. donnatrex@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment