WELCOME!

Hi! My name is Donna Boyce Trexler Geertz ... I grew up in Tarrytown, NY and attended Sleepy Hollow High School. I now live in Port Saint Lucie, Florida. You are invited to join me as I share thoughts and contemplations along my journey in life (68 years). I have lost two husbands within the last several years. My first late husband, Bart Trexler, whom I co-pastored a church near Charleston, SC, died from a brain tumor in December 2004, and on Feb 1, 2013 my husband Joe Geertz from complications with a gallbladder operation.

“PEACH LAKE MEMORIES is a compilation of 15 Chapters / vignettes, including pictures, filled with fond remembrances and thoughts of years gone by as I was growing up.
If you scroll down on the right hand side the different chapters are listed, under the faint wording that says "blog archive"..Just click on any one that may interest you.

I have also posted many other stories too on this blog!!
I do hope you enjoy taking a walk down memory lane with me!

M
ay God bless you richly today~

**As a side note, I have other blogs too... 18 in fact.. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will you will see a smiley sun graphic.. right under that is the list of my other blogs. Just double click on any one that interests you.




SWEET SONG OF THE PAST

How fast childhood years have flashed by
When hop scotch, jump rope and
pick up stixs where things we played.
Hoola hoops and old maid where so much fun,
comics and mystery books, and boats in the sun.
Oh, to go back to the old ways,
when skate keys and scraped knees
where all part of the phase of growing up!

My dollies where my constant companions,
and playing teatime delighted me so,
Mommy, will you be my turtle,
and help me make a bow,
talk to me for hours,
and swing me soft and low?

Times of lemonade and gingersnaps,
Dragonflies and sitting on my Grandpa’s lap
Swedish pancakes with raspberry jam,
and of course my favorite, swiss cheese and ham!

I took it all for granted, and then childhood faded away
To a place in my mind, where only whisps of it remain.

Oh, to go back to skipping stones, and princess phones,
Fishing with bobbers, and fireflies aglow
and yelling “catch me Daddy” off the dock.
Praying with Mom as we watched the cows graze,
All locked in my mind .. such wonderful days.

In these golden times,
I am grateful for the childhood I had,
knowing it is over sometimes makes me sad.
But, today holds memories of its own,
thank you Lord, I have someone to share it with
I am not alone.

©Donsie's Dialogs 2011 written by Donna 2011



Monday, June 20, 2011

PEACH LAKE MEMORIES CHAPTER 15 - WORDS OF WISDOM FROM MY MOTHER

b>CHAPTER 15- WORDS OF WISDOM FROM MY MOTHER

This is a letter my Mother wrote to her family as she was going through being primary caretaker for my Father who was dying with Parkinson's. It was a long process and many times she called for prayer. She knew how much her children and grandchildren loved my Father, and shared these words that had encouraged her. I pray you will be blessed as you read them.

Note.. the signing at the end of the letter. She always included my father in things, even if he was not remotely a part. At the time she wrote this, he was in total decline physically, mentally and emotionally from Parkinsons to the point where my Mom had to rent a Hoyer lift, as he was too heavy for her to carry from bed to wheel chair etc.. My Mom felt that they were together in heart, so when she got things such as gifts, she always put his name on it, saying he was the one who made the money to do the things they did and she was so right! By the way, I don't remember my Dad being anything but pleased by it!

I want to mention here how I respect my mother for taking care of my father. It was a long illness and she was a perfectionist, so she wore herself She was in my estimation amazing with my Dad. Mom was not a complainer and when she would call me for prayer her concerns were for my Father and not herself. There were times from sheer frustration and exhaustion and the weight of the responsibility that she flared at him and at times she did things I judged, but over the years having been there myself and my sister having been there too tending her late husband.. I have come to forgive her and realize it is only when you have walked in someone else’s shoes that you can understand. My mother long suffered with my Dad. I can only imagine what I would have been like had my late husband tarried.

Dad died 8/11/12 - 12/4/97 he was 85
Mom died 8/17/18 - 3/11/04 she was 86
Bart died 8/9/42-12/04/04 he was 62

This was the last written letter I received from my Mother as far as I remember; it was right near the time of my Dad and Mom’s 55 wedding Anniversary.

April 24, 1996



For my Dear Family:

I know all of you are asking "Why God" I have asked Him myself this question many, many times, but on the other hand, I have received great strength, wisdom and guidance from God. My emotions on this is a constant "see-saw".





However, on our 55th Anniversary (April 13, 1996)...the enclosed is what God had me read and absorb:

We are ALL going through this ... not only Grandpa and Me, and I pray God opens your minds and hearts to understand so you might be comforted also... The reading is 2 Corinthians 4:16 - 5:10 --- The Message: "For we walk by Faith not by Sight".... (or by how our minds see it).

(2 Cor 4:16-5:10 LBV) "That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our inner strength in the Lord is growing every day. These troubles and sufferings of ours are, after all, quite small and won't last very long. Yet this short time of distress will result in God's richest blessing upon us forever and ever! So we do not look at what we can see right now, the troubles all around us, but we look forward to the joys in heaven which we have not yet seen. The troubles will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever.

For we know that when this tent we live in now is taken down--- when we die and leave these bodies --- we will have wonderful new bodies in heaven, homes that will be ours forevermore, made for us by God Himself, and not by human hands. How weary we grow of our present bodies. That is why we look forward eagerly to the day when we shall have heavenly bodies which we shall put on like new clothes. For we shall not be merely spirits without bodies. These earthly bodies make us groan and sigh, but we wouldn't like to think of dying and having no bodies at all. We want to slip into our new bodies so that these dying bodies will, as it were, be swallowed up by everlasting life. This is what God has prepared for us and, as a guarantee; He has given us His Holy Spirit.

Now we look forward with confidence to our Heavenly bodies, realizing that every moment we spend in these earthly bodies is time spent away from our eternal home in heaven with Jesus. We know these things are true by believing, not by seeing. And we are not afraid, but are quite content to die, for then we will be at home with the Lord. So our aim is to please Him always in everything we do, whether we are in this body or away from this body and with Him in heaven. For we must all stand before Christ to be judged and have our lives laid bare --- before Him. Each of us will receive whatever he deserves for the good or bad things he has done in his earthly body."

Here is the reading that went along with the scriptures for 4/13/96:

Recently, I saw a remarkable short video. It showed a man and his seeing-eye dog hiking the 2,000 mile Appalachian Trail --- something many sighted people have failed to accomplish. According to the man's own testimony, he attempted the trek out of obedience and thanksgiving to the Lord who had rescued him from a life of self-destruction.

I found the video extremely moving. As the man and his dog forged icy rivers, clambered over rocky and perilous terrain, I was reminded of the hazards of our faith journey. We too are vulnerable. We are NOT in control --- God is. We CANNOT see ahead --- only God can. We do NOT have all wisdom --- God does. This truth permeated my soul as I watched the man entrusting his very life to one of God's "lesser" creatures, his faithful dog.

This heroic Appalachian faith-walk is an icon for me. It speaks of trusting God, of living in harmony with the created order, of willingness to risk all to follow Jesus. It also speaks of putting to death my prideful ways and certitude. It speaks of humbling myself before God.

My prayer is that we will all live this kind of life before Jesus entrusting everything to Him even when we cannot see what is ahead.

My deepest love for you,

Grandpa and Grandma Boyce

My Mother planned most of the music to be played at her own funeral, except for one song I added as I believe it summed up what she meant to us, I only changed one word ... the words are below Celine Dion "Because you Loved Me"..as well as the sites to hear the two pertinent songs. Here I am Lord was her favorite. The words are below. I think they speak volumes of who she was. Whenever we would sing it together, we would cry. This song was played often at All Saints, my parents church in Florida, and was the key song on a retreat weekend. The other song she requested to be played, was Amazing Grace. AMAZING GRACE and HERE I AM LORD. I was blessed to do the main Eulogy for my Father and Mother’s funeral. I will never forget my children and nephews sharing their hearts of love in honoring both my Father and Mother at their funerals. Each one of you are special treasures from God.

To hear this song with a beautiful video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRfpQKnzns&feature=related

HERE I AM LORD

I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard My people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin,
My hand will save.
I who made the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear My light to them?
Whom shall I send?

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.

I, the Lord of snow and rain,
I have born my peoples pain.
I have wept for love of them, They turn away.
I will break their hearts of stone,
Give them hearts for love alone.
I will speak My word to them,
Whom shall I send?

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.

I, the Lord of wind and flame,
I will tend the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them,
My hand will save
Finest bread I will provide,
Till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give My life to them,
Whom shall I send?

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.

"Because You Loved Me" sung by Celine Dion

For all those times you stood by me
For all the truth that you made me see
For all the joy you brought to my life
For all the wrong that you made right
For every dream you made come true
For all the love I found in you
I'll be forever thankful Dorothy
You're the one who held me up
Never let me fall
You're the one who saw me through through it all

Chorus:
You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak
You were my eyes when I couldn't see
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach
You gave me faith 'coz you believed
I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

You gave me wings and made me fly
You touched my hand I could touch the sky
I lost my faith, you gave it back to me
You said no star was out of reach
You stood by me and I stood tall
I had your love I had it all
I'm grateful for each day you gave me
Maybe I don't know that much
But I know this much is true
I was blessed because I was loved by you

(Refrain Chorus)

You were always there for me
The tender wind that carried me
A light in the dark shining your love into my life
You've been my inspiration
Through the lies you were the truth
My world is a better place because of you

You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak
You were my eyes when I couldn't see
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach
You gave me faith 'coz you believed
I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CkKuA86Mis


The gang with Mom
Tom and Mark got in this one!
Gwen you are soooooo bad!!!!!!


Christmas at Tom and Gwen's, Dad with Mark and Bart

Tom and Gwen out with Dad and Mom

Happy Memories

















A special night Dad & Mom took us out to dinner at a German place "Just Because".. we had such a super night all together and the food was so good.


Bye for now sweeties... see you ALL in heaven....






THE END..
OR SHALL WE SAY
... THE BEGINNING!










©PEACH LAKE MEMORIES 5/21/11
Peach Lake Memories is a 15 Chapter book with vignettes about my childhood memories. It is copyrighted. Please ask for permission before using any information in my book. Thank you .. donnatrex@yahoo.com



No comments:

Post a Comment