WELCOME!

Hi! My name is Donna Boyce Trexler Geertz ... I grew up in Tarrytown, NY and attended Sleepy Hollow High School. I now live in Port Saint Lucie, Florida. You are invited to join me as I share thoughts and contemplations along my journey in life (68 years). I have lost two husbands within the last several years. My first late husband, Bart Trexler, whom I co-pastored a church near Charleston, SC, died from a brain tumor in December 2004, and on Feb 1, 2013 my husband Joe Geertz from complications with a gallbladder operation.

“PEACH LAKE MEMORIES is a compilation of 15 Chapters / vignettes, including pictures, filled with fond remembrances and thoughts of years gone by as I was growing up.
If you scroll down on the right hand side the different chapters are listed, under the faint wording that says "blog archive"..Just click on any one that may interest you.

I have also posted many other stories too on this blog!!
I do hope you enjoy taking a walk down memory lane with me!

M
ay God bless you richly today~

**As a side note, I have other blogs too... 18 in fact.. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will you will see a smiley sun graphic.. right under that is the list of my other blogs. Just double click on any one that interests you.




SWEET SONG OF THE PAST

How fast childhood years have flashed by
When hop scotch, jump rope and
pick up stixs where things we played.
Hoola hoops and old maid where so much fun,
comics and mystery books, and boats in the sun.
Oh, to go back to the old ways,
when skate keys and scraped knees
where all part of the phase of growing up!

My dollies where my constant companions,
and playing teatime delighted me so,
Mommy, will you be my turtle,
and help me make a bow,
talk to me for hours,
and swing me soft and low?

Times of lemonade and gingersnaps,
Dragonflies and sitting on my Grandpa’s lap
Swedish pancakes with raspberry jam,
and of course my favorite, swiss cheese and ham!

I took it all for granted, and then childhood faded away
To a place in my mind, where only whisps of it remain.

Oh, to go back to skipping stones, and princess phones,
Fishing with bobbers, and fireflies aglow
and yelling “catch me Daddy” off the dock.
Praying with Mom as we watched the cows graze,
All locked in my mind .. such wonderful days.

In these golden times,
I am grateful for the childhood I had,
knowing it is over sometimes makes me sad.
But, today holds memories of its own,
thank you Lord, I have someone to share it with
I am not alone.

©Donsie's Dialogs 2011 written by Donna 2011



Monday, June 20, 2011

PEACH LAKE MEMORIES CHAPTER 2 - HOW IT ALL BEGAN, GETTING THERE & NYC MOMENTS

PEACH LAKE MEMORIES CHAPTER 2 – HOW IT ALL BEGAN, GETTING THERE & NYC MOMENTS



Vintage Picture of Mother and Child in Summer Moonlight in the Country


A Mother's Secure Hand







Mother’s Day is a time to thank the women who have birthed or raised us. We honor them for who they are and what they have done in our lives. As Mother’s Day approaches, it is not unusual to reminisce about times when we grew up. My mother went on to be with the Lord six years ago, and she was a strong influence in my life. She died a short nine months before my late husband, Bart and so it was a very difficult time for me recovering. I have so many fond memories of her. Some began to stand out in my mind while I was talking with my friend tonight, and it brought tears to my eyes. I began to think about my summer adventures while I was growing up.

We enjoyed spending from the end of June until the first week of September at a place called Peach Lake, which was about 45-60 minutes depending on traffic from where I was raised, in Westchester County, New York. I was surprised that so many things started to immediately flood back into my consciousness while talking with my friend. So, I invite you into my recollections of my past childhood. This is a labor of love, biography and rememberance of my life for my children Mark, Keri, Chip and Todd, whom I love more than life. I believe this will be a nice keepsake for my family,sister, nephews, children and grand children, and also I do hope there will be those who will find my childhood stories interesting. I have not written with any rhyme or reason, just jotting down thoughts as they come, so things will be out of order time wise.. sorry for that.. I hope it doesn't confuse you as you read this book!

Peach Lake in Spring










Peach Lake is in the country. It seemed like it took forever to get there from my home in Tarrytown, New York, a sleepy little town along the Hudson River and the legendary place where Wahsington Irving wrote the tale of the Headless Horseman! Driving North a bit along the way to the Lake, we sometimes stopped at a Dairy Farm where they made delectable homemade ice cream. For me, it kind of made me feel like this yearly trip was finally happening. My Dad loved his girls all three of us, My Mom, my sister Gwen and myself Donna. He would get this soft kind of twinkle when he was doing something special for us. Stopping at the dairy farm was indeed a treat, and we all fully enjoyed the stop, which also broke up the long trip a bit for us too.

When we were about ½ way there, we made another stop. We brought along jugs in the trunk of the car that we filled with fresh spring water that flowed down from some rock formations. It was such a picturesque setting with a lake or body of water of some sort across the street. We coud sometimes see fishermen in boats seeming to be enjoying themselves lost in thought with fishing pole over the side of their boat or casting their reels out. We of course, all wanted to sample some of the refreshing water. It seemed to me that just about everyone stopped there to fill their jugs, and it was a nice stop for my Father to strike up conversations with other people. He had a gift of being able to do that!!
















That certain smile of my Father's I so loved
pictured here with Great Grandson Colin,
Chip, Suzanne, Tom and Gwen





Christ Episcopal Church



I went to this church from birth until I married It had lots of history, Washington Irving had a pew in this church.. There was also an incredible organ, and the most beautiful stained glass windows depicting the stories of Christ. In this place, I had some of my first encounters with God.

Old Dutch Church near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery another area church with much history



We always teased my Dad about running for office as he had a deep love for Tarrytown and the people living there! After church on Sunday morning, he would be out front talking to people he knew to the point my Mom and sister and I would finally leave him so we could walk down to the Parish Hall and have some orange juice and donuts. Finally he would wander in and we would tease him. People just naturally liked my father. He was not pushy or overbearing and he had great respect in our community, people admired him for how he had done well in life. He enjoyed joking, and my sister had the ability of being able to chide and so they got along well. I never learned how to joke until I got older. I realized years later that most men like to joke. I think it is a gentle pressure reliever for stress and it sometimes causes us to laugh at ourselves and also to realize that we don’t have to take life so seriously. My father was raised with a strict Swedish mother and a Flemish/English father who was not well physically. Great Grandpa Boyce was a meek and quiet man.

Grandpa Boyce with me at Peach Lake in front of Bungalow, pretty rose arbor huh?~

Nana Dad's Mother forefront left.. we were at a Riverside Hose firehouse function







My Dad had very humble beginnings. My sister has been doing some family lineage and sent me an email that I thought was so funny, I just laughed and laughed and thanked God from where He has brought our family. Supposedly on my Father’s side of the family.. (probably my Mother’s too) our family was what used to be referred to as “piss poor”. Now, this is not an expression I would normally ever use, but I am sharing this with you to make a point. Back in history they did not even have outhouses. They were under the belief that the night air was harmful and because antibiotics had not yet been developed, coughs could turn into something serious and could lead to even death. So, they had chamber pots to relieve themselves in the middle of the night that could be cleaned out in the morning. But, if you were really, really poor it was said that you did not even have a “pot to piss in”. That was the kind of poor we came from. With economy the way it is, there have been times recently that I have almost been tempted to use coffee filters for toilet paper, so maybe that expression is not tooooooo far off from being right at present!!

Vintage Porcelain Chamber Pot


So, my Father with my Mother’s help was an example of the American Way working his way to success. He worked hard to build a business almost from scratch to help raise and care for his family, two sisters and a brother. He became at a very young age the main breadwinner in the family. He started with a small truck of his Father’s that was used to pick up trash and odd and ends for money. He developed that into a mult-million dollar business of collecting trash. (His younger brother joined the business after completing school). Yes, he made money from others people’s garbage. What an example in life of taking what is in your hand and taking lemons and making lemonade! Who knew?!!

Vintage Garbage Carts








Dad loved taking drives. He loved finding new places to take Mom and to surprise her. I think it was an adventure for him. My Mom found pleasure in coming across fun places to go, but she was not a good traveler. Her A type personality would not let her just relax. She was what she termed “Antsy” all the time in a car! Dad was the explorer. I have been given a gift of counsel, and over the years, I have studied many areas in regard to human nature. One of the best books I have read for men is one called “Wild at Heart”, by John Eldridge. It is about men realizing their God given drive to be adventurous, to find a quest and to go where as Star Trek says “no man has ever gone before”. It is in a man’s nature. So Dad would love to take us on roads and to places we could discover new things. I loved the benefits that brought into my life, as I experienced many new places and have many fond memories because of my father’s love to seek out new things. I have carried that gift in my own life and so has my sister. I do plan trips well, but I also am tickled with the times I can just get in the car with no agenda and just be led by instinct.

In the early 1960’s we had a Robin’s Egg blue Pontiac that was WOW!




But, getting back to my story. My grandparents on my mother’s side had come to Peach Lake to visit my father’s parents and fell in love with the area. This occurred when my parents were rather new in their marriage. So, they decided to purchase a bungalow for my uncle and aunt and their families and my Mom and Dad to share and use for their summer vacation spot. The Bungalow as we called it, was perfect for my family as most of my father’s family lived in or near Peach Lake, but for some reason my mother’s family didn’t come up except for a few weekends over the summer.


Grandpa and Grandma Nickels with Gwen and me in Yonkers, NY


I so treasured the time with my Mother’s family too. The first time my Grandfather saw me in the nursery when I was born he called me his “Miss America” and that was what I was to him my whole life, he called me that and "His American Beauty Rose". He was Scot/English and my Grandmother was Irish, her maiden name was Fahey. A combination back in their day that was volatile, for the Orange and the Green did not mix! The Scots were basically Protestant, and the Irish were Catholic. So, when my Grandparents married, they gave their children the choice, attending both Episcopal and Catholic services.

To see Nickels Family Crest



http://www.thetreemaker.com/family-crest-n/nickels/england.html






To see Fahey Irish Family Crest my grandmother's maiden name on mother's side:




http://www.houseofnames.com/fahey-family-crest


Bagpiper

Irish Jig








To see Boyce Family Crest: It says the Surname is English, but I was told the Boyce name was Flemish?


http://www.houseofnames.com/boyce-family-crest





To see Swedish Johnson Family Crest Nana's maiden name on Dad's side:




http://familycrestrings.com/500-most-common-family-crests/








My Grandfather loved to sing songs and my Grandmother had done some Vaudeville... Anyway, Grandma literally wore the long boas and the big hats and she was buxom to complete the look! She didn’t do burlesque though. Vaudeville had a variety of entertainments such as comedy, skits, animal performers, sometimes magic show, dancing and such. Grandma sang. She loved flashy jewelry and had quite a collection too. This is where I got my passion for bling I think as she would allow me to look at her jewelry up in her bedroom in her large jewelry box. I used to take naps upstairs on my grandparents bed and I sucked my thumb and had a habit of picking the fuzz off blankets while doing so. To my mother's horror, I woke up from a nap one day and had picked all the chenille pattern off an area of my grandparents bedspread! Yikes~~ another time, I stayed overnight and woke up and wanted my parents, nothing else would do, so my grandparents had to drive me home in the middle of the night. As my grandmother would tell me years later "there was NO consoling me"... So much for overnight stays at their home anymore! LOL

Similar to Grandma's brush set on her dresser

Looks like my Mom's brush set

She also had the prettiest Brush, Mirror and Comb set on her Dresser. They had a kind of bonelike covering with some etching. I found out years later at an Auction that it was in reality made of Cellulite, a kind of plastic. The one pictured has many more pieces than my Grandmother's but it is similar. My Mother also had one which was probably silver plated or sterling, not sure that looked like the one above. It was said by my Mother that the short time my Grandma was in Vaudeville, she resembled in her wardrobe a kind of a Mae West type. Mae was a popular singer, and actress in the 1940’s, although my Grandmother was much more shy than Mae and not bawdy with the men! Mae was Irish too like my Grandma Nickels.

Mae West
Vaudeville Palace Theatre NYC

I must have taken my Grandmother’s genes and got my Grandmother’s Drama Queen blood)!! My Mother used to call me “Sarah Heartburn” as a joke instead of Sarah Burnhardt who was a French Drama Queen back in the late 1800’s. She was reported to being the most famous actress the world has ever known and was totally theatrical. She played in many of the old silent films and was known for her remarkable performances. She even bought and slept in a coffin for a while to better relate to the intensely tragic roles she played!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKa7JleYqm8&NR=1

When I was about 12 Grandmother sang at a local theatre performance Mae West style with large feathered hat and feathered boa and long dress. She sang Sophie Tuckers song: “Some of these Days”, and she did a great job!

To hear Sophia Tucker singing this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3heCSPJrO70


Sung by Sophie Tucker

Some of these days, You're gonna miss me honey
Some of these days, You're gonna feel so lonely
You'll miss my huggin', You'll miss my kissin'
You'll miss me honey, when you go away

I feel so lonely, Just for you only
For you know honey, you've had your way!
And when you leave me, I know twill grieve me
You'll miss your little baby
Yes, some of these days


My Sister wore sunglasses like these for months after seeing Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's .. Love that Picture, and every picture she was in


Singing in the Rain 1953




I was 7 yrs old.. I saw it with my parents at Radio City Music Hall.. When the Rockettes came on stage before the show, in rain slickers and artificial rain coming down, and doing their kicks,I was mesmerized! I probably had been to Radio City before that show, and went many times after that one, but I do remember that one in particular.

Funny Face at Radio City Musice Hall 1957, I was 11 and was enthralled with every minute. My Mom was singing the song "I love your funny face" for months after to me!

Playbill Bye Bye Birdie 1960 I was a freshman
my Dad was here for this show and we went out
to eat at the Top of the Six's after.






I always had a love for theatre from a young age watching Disney movies at elementary school age, where my Mother, or Mother and Father would take me into NYC to see Broadway Plays such as bye Bye Birdie, West Side Story and others in the very early 60’s. Mostly I would go with Mom to the ballets. Although it was not my mother's and father's favorite, they did go to the opera with some friends, and brought me back their playbill. When I was working in NYC for an advertising Agency above the Tiffany Building on Fifth Avenue, I would go to some of the shows on Friday nights and to some of the coffee houses in Greenwich Village, and when working in the garment district modeling also. My late husband loved opera. In later years he would often play opera music after our church services on Sunday afternoons. We were always spent after preaching and ministering and needed a break!!! We would have cheese and crackers and relax on the couch with pillows and blankets and enjoy the peace~

I also adored the Ballet, as I had taken dance from the age of five, and went to see the Russian Ballet with my parents for my birthday one year and to the Russian Tea Room in NYC afterwards.. and to the Top of the Sixes Restaurant for dinner. I had been to other ballets, but only once did I remember seeing the Russian Ballet. The Top of the Sixes was in midtown at the top of an office building in the Penthouse overlooking Fifth Avenue near St. Patrick’s Cathedral. You had a nice view of the city from there. It closed years ago as I wanted to take my daughter there one year when we were visiting in NY and found out it was not there any more. The Russian Tea room was opened by former members of the Russian Imperial Ballet so it was very fitting to go there for tea after the ballet.

Russian Ballet

It was an elaborate place, and many entertainers, actors and actresses went there. I only ever had tea there, as we were going out for dinner that night, but I so remember the elegantly dressed doorman and the tea was served in elaborate Russian tea pots with loose tea. They served some sort of little cakes with it. What a total dream and treat for me! My father had taken my mother there a few times when they were dating. As a side note scenes in the picture “When Harry Met Sally” were taken there. Madonna worked there as a coat check girl too before she became famous. It was closed for a while, but I understand they have reopened it.

However,two of my very favorites have closed for sure. Tavern on the Green in Central Park has gone bankrupt as well as Maxwell Plum’s. I used to go there when I was flying as a stewardess and even considered having my wedding there at one point. It made me so sad to see it close, as the place was gorgeous and set in a beautiful atmosphere. It was like a fairyland at night with little twinkle lights everywhere and at Christmastime it was a wonderland. Maxwell’s Plum was an upscale place and was the a great singles place when I lived and flew out of NY. The decor was kind of Parisian style with old fashioned gas lights and such, and I had many dates there.

I dated a man who owned a television station in Maine and he flew his own plane and took a helicopter from the airport to the top of one of the building in NYC to come see me when I was working in NYC. He took me to the Four Seasons where I experienced my first Ceasar Salad prepared tableside and have been hooked on it ever since. I loved it so much he got the recipe for me and I brought it home to my Mother and she was able to duplicate it dead on. She even added the anchovies on top for my Dad. Delicious!

The Ingredients
The Preparation Tableside
Still one of my favorite salads to date.

Entrance to Russian Tea Room NYC

To see what it looked like here is a video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4894657154130007614#

The Famous Russian Tea Room

The Russian Bear

Tavern on the Green

Outside Garden Tavern on Green

Tavern on Green at Night

Nightime at the Tavern on Green

In Central Park NYC

Central Park Skating

Maxwell’s Plum NYC now closed

Maxwell’s Plum the ceiling was so unique

Friday's was one of the best single's places to go
in NYC on 63rd St. opened in 1965, I was flying then
and one of the first to frequent this place, because
of that, when it grew in huge popularity, my roomate
Connie and I never had to wait in line to get in!
Also, they opened several sister restaurants like
Wednesdays and Thursdays etc.. Thursdays was my
favorite, and the decor there was super. Friday's
began with the best hamburger ever. A thick juicy
serloin burger on a large toasted english muffin
with cheese, lettuce, tomato and red onion, fries
and koshere dill pickle.. Nothing like it!

I don’t want you to think going to these places as a child was normal fare for me. Quite the contrary. These were for special occasions, except for Maxwell’s Plum where I went as a young single living in NYC when I was an airline stewardess. My Mother also took me to a place for lunch one time where you could look down and see the skaters at Rockefeller Center at Christmas time.

I want to mention something here. Much of the sparkle and glamour of NYC in the 1950's and 1960's is gone. It was an era that that I loved. I want to share it with you from my eyes as a young girl not in any way to flaunt it. I hope you see my heart here.. not to be pompous or prideful, I am just trying to share my life as I viewed it. I just so much want you to be right there with me in my heart to experience the New York I grew up loving. It was an exciting and magical city in my primary years. This is a bygone era. The America we have known and loved is no more in my estimation, so remembering it in it's splendor makes me happy, and thankful I was blessed to grow up when I did.

We lived only about one hour from NYC, and so it was not a long trip to drive there or to take the train. Places like the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The American Museum of Natural History and the Bronx Zoo and the like were places my school classes had field trips. I can still picture the huge replica of a Dinosaur and Indian replicas in my mind's eye, The Empire State Building, FAO Schwwartz, The Staten Island Ferry, Times Square, Broadway, Radio City Music Hall and the super Holiday shows there, Rockefeller Center and the huge Christmas Tree all lit up.. Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and the St. Patrick's Day Parade, Greenwich Village and so so much more! So, the wonderful experience of NYC was close by.

I was not spoiled or privledged except in the sense that my parents did expose me to nice things, and I am so grateful to them for doing so. But, reviewing my life and all the places I have seen, the things I have done, and the people I have met.... nothing can remotely compare to the experiences I have had since I came into a personal relationship with the Lord. That has been the ultimate in my life. Places are fun, elaborate places bring enjoyment, culture is important and good food is a blessing.... but knowing God is the most important thing in my life, it is a priceless treasure. All else pales in comparison.


Museum of Natural History NYC


Greenwich Village

Oh how I loved the Village, with smokey cafe's with wanna be poets, and entertainers, a mellow atmoshpere and the greatest artsy shops where you could find just that something to make an outfit special and unique... and tucked away little restaurants you would find out about through word of mouth!

Macy's Christmas Windows
When looking in these magical windows, my eyes never left to see anyone else .. I was rivited to every single detail, color, fabric, expression gift wrapping, tree ornament... I could have stayed there for hours.. and the animation so cute .. what memories.. what a time to grow up!
Vingtage Rockefeller Center
Metropolitan Museum of Art

Grand Central Station I took the train from Tarrytown to Grand Central every day while working in the City

Empire State Building
Staten Island Ferry I wond Miss Staten Island and Miss Westchester County in Miss Universe Pageant

Statue of Liberty











I loved going to the ballet as I had started ballet lessons at age five and continued through school. The recitals were so much fun and I so enjoyed performing on stage. Actually I think I liked the makeup and getting all dressed up in pretty tutus with my leotards for the shows and tiaras in my hair, or flower garlands. I can see myself in my youngest Grandaughter as I watch her dancing so uninhibited to some of the new karaoke videos they have on DVD now or seeing her dance recital videos! My grandaughter Megan is also into drama too.. here she is in a play and also some awesome photography her mother Michelle did of her!

Drea At Dance Recital


Megan our other Drama Queen!

Michelle did these photographs of Megan

Wow! what makeup .. ya think it runs in the family? here's Megan
Keri - The Queen of Hearts!

Megan in concert




When we all got together as a family, when I was a child, it was common for me to sit on my Grandparents laps and we would sing such songs as Let me call you Sweetheart, I’m in Love with You. Lovey Mine, or Down by the Old Mill Stream, or his favorite that he would sing to Grandma .. Let me Call you Sweetheart. All the 40’s old Mitch Miller tunes. To this day, I still have that music on my iPod, and enjoy going down memory lane playing and singing them again.

Songs on Mitch Miller and Gang Album

That Old Gang of Mine, Down by the Old Mill Stream, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, You are My Sunshine, Till we Meet Again, Let the Rest of the World God by, Sweet Violets, I’ve Got Sixpence/I’ve Been working on the Railroad/That’s where My money Goes, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Don’t Fence me In, There is a Tavern in Town, Show me the Way to Go Home, Bell Bottom Trousers, Be Kind to your Web-footed Friends

To listen to some of these songs:
http://www.amazon.com/Sing-Along-Mitch-Miller/dp/B0000024QD

Mitch Miller Album

Words by Beth Slater Whitson, Music by Leo Friedman 1910
I am dreaming Dear of you, day by day
Dreaming when the skies are blue, When they're gray;
When the silv'ry moonlight gleams, Still I wander on in dreams,
In a land of love, it seems, Just with you.

Chorus:
Let me call you "Sweetheart," I'm in love with you.
Let me hear you whisper that you love me too.
Keep the love-light glowing in your eyes so true.
Let me call you "Sweetheart," I'm in love with you.

Longing for you all the while, More and more;
Longing for the sunny smile, I adore;
Birds are singing far and near, Roses blooming ev'rywhere
You, alone, my heart can cheer; You, just you.
Refrain Chorus

Grandma was quiet and a super cook who you would find whistling when she cooked! My Grandfather was a policeman who rode around in later years on a motorcycle. He was a distinguished man and he had the presence of mind to leave a well paying job just before the depression for one of security. My Mother said he had a family meeting before doing so and told them they would not have the things they were used to, but in the end he thought it would be best for his family, He was right. When War hit and the depression, his family did not suffer as much as others.

From what my Mother said, my Grandfather could be what they used to call “sharp tongued” with my Grandmother and had a way about him that was changeable. He was Scots and liked his Scotch whiskey at times and would have his “little men” lined up (shot glasses)! I never did see him drunk though. My Mother said she saw him push her Mother when she was not walking fast enough to get to church one time, and he threw my Mother down a flight of stairs one time when he was angry with her. My mother said she had skipped school one time and her mother found out from the Principal and when she got in the door her mother asked her where she had been. My Mother lied and my Grandma slapped her all the way up to her room. Yikes! I think that was why my Mother at times was prone to bouts of anger. Let me put it this way “you sure towed the line and did everything her way, and stayed out of her way when she was mad”! Thank God my Grandfather was never anything but kind and very loving to me.

When we had family get togethers we always had a ball. I remember going over to my Mom’s brother and his family .. Uncle George and his two sons Roger and Bruce and being allowed to jump all over the bed and not getting into any trouble! And, my Aunt Joyce was married to Uncle Chuck who I thought the world of. I just loved them to pieces. He was my “Chucky Boy” as I called him, and he called my Aunt “Kitten”. She was like a kitten too.. all feminine and she had the most beautiful clothes. They tried for years to have children and finally after so long had two sons Mark and Greg. Super kids and we all doted on them as they had been so long awaited.

My family Sister Gwen, Mom, Dad and Me
Sorry this picture is damaged, but the only one I have of us at the moment

Partial family Photo. Me far left in stripe Grandpa Nickels close family friends, my sister Gwen and husband Tom In forefront, my Aunt Joyce in white fur Mark, my cousin, Grandma and my Nephew Tommy .. Dad sitting far left

Mom in Pink with me and my four children



I loved it when spring came as we would take a family vacation to Fort Lauderdale Florida area for two weeks from about the age of maybe 8 (but telling about our adventures in Florida is another story for another time)! However, after our Florida trip we would take long Spring cleaning weekends to open up the cottage and air it out from the winter closure. So, we cleaned the cottage anywhere from later March to late April depending on when Easter came.

My favorite flowers are in Spring these are some of them:

Pansies

Sisters are Flowers in God's Garden

Lily of the Valley

Easter Sugar Egg


Dad alwasy bought us Easter Orchid Corsages to wear to church Easter Sunday

My Mother had a handkerchief just like this .. I have it now somewhere!
I used to pick violets for her and she placed them in a Lenox Bud Vase

Tea Roses I carried some very tiny baby ones in my bouquet when I got married
My Grandmother Nickels had a large Lilac tree on the side of their house, I couldn't wait till Spring to go there and smell them! When I die, I hope the Lord has a Lilac Tree right outside my bedroom window.
Hyacinth- Awww the fragrance of this flower makes my head reel my favorite flowers are Spring flowers and my very favorite are Lilacs and Hyacinth


Iris Oh how I love the Iris .. so elegant and impressive, and what is my favorite color? You guessed it... Purple!


©PEACH LAKE MEMORIES 5/21/11
Peach Lake Memories is a 15 Chapter book with vignettes about my childhood memories. It is copyrighted. Please ask for permission before using any information in my book. Thank you .. donnatrex@yahoo.com

1 comment:

  1. Does your family still have the cottage in peach lake? I currently live here and it seems that generations go way back. I just wanted to know if I know them.
    Thanks.
    Nereida Vazquez

    ReplyDelete