WELCOME!

Hi! My name is Donna Boyce Trexler Geertz ... I grew up in Tarrytown, NY and attended Sleepy Hollow High School. I now live in Port Saint Lucie, Florida. You are invited to join me as I share thoughts and contemplations along my journey in life (68 years). I have lost two husbands within the last several years. My first late husband, Bart Trexler, whom I co-pastored a church near Charleston, SC, died from a brain tumor in December 2004, and on Feb 1, 2013 my husband Joe Geertz from complications with a gallbladder operation.

“PEACH LAKE MEMORIES is a compilation of 15 Chapters / vignettes, including pictures, filled with fond remembrances and thoughts of years gone by as I was growing up.
If you scroll down on the right hand side the different chapters are listed, under the faint wording that says "blog archive"..Just click on any one that may interest you.

I have also posted many other stories too on this blog!!
I do hope you enjoy taking a walk down memory lane with me!

M
ay God bless you richly today~

**As a side note, I have other blogs too... 18 in fact.. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will you will see a smiley sun graphic.. right under that is the list of my other blogs. Just double click on any one that interests you.




SWEET SONG OF THE PAST

How fast childhood years have flashed by
When hop scotch, jump rope and
pick up stixs where things we played.
Hoola hoops and old maid where so much fun,
comics and mystery books, and boats in the sun.
Oh, to go back to the old ways,
when skate keys and scraped knees
where all part of the phase of growing up!

My dollies where my constant companions,
and playing teatime delighted me so,
Mommy, will you be my turtle,
and help me make a bow,
talk to me for hours,
and swing me soft and low?

Times of lemonade and gingersnaps,
Dragonflies and sitting on my Grandpa’s lap
Swedish pancakes with raspberry jam,
and of course my favorite, swiss cheese and ham!

I took it all for granted, and then childhood faded away
To a place in my mind, where only whisps of it remain.

Oh, to go back to skipping stones, and princess phones,
Fishing with bobbers, and fireflies aglow
and yelling “catch me Daddy” off the dock.
Praying with Mom as we watched the cows graze,
All locked in my mind .. such wonderful days.

In these golden times,
I am grateful for the childhood I had,
knowing it is over sometimes makes me sad.
But, today holds memories of its own,
thank you Lord, I have someone to share it with
I am not alone.

©Donsie's Dialogs 2011 written by Donna 2011



Monday, June 20, 2011

PEACH LAKE MEMORIES CHAPTER 3 - SPRING CLEANING

PEACH LAKE MEMORIES CHAPTER 3 - SPRING CLEANING

Whistle While You Work!


Vail’s at Peach Lake with Pavilion, Canoes & swimming

Everything was washed, cleaned and sprayed in preparation for usage. We would take the rugs outside and hang them on the porch railing and beat them clean with a wire rug beater (what a great way to get rid of any frustration, especially if you had it cause you had to be working and not playing ha ha!) and every spider web, musty smell and any lingering bugs that may have made our tiny bungalow their home over the winter were evicted! My mother was for sure “Mrs. Clean”, so you can rest assured that every nook and cranny had to pass her inspection. The outside was swept, and every bed was made with fresh linens. Only a few families lived at the Lake all year long, and it seemed so serene and peaceful in the spring, not bursting with life as it was in the summer. But, it had a promise in the air that warm weather would soon be upon us, and we would soon be heading to the bungalow for the summer.


Peach Lake in Spring at Pavilion with Dad



Peach Lake Pavilion with Mom & sister Gwen

Vintage Aprons
Aprons were made in different styles

Spring cleaning brings back thoughts of my Mom in an apron and hair up in a scarf





One like my Grandma Nickels wore

Hoover upright the bag would fill with air and debris and had to be emptied on newspaper and put in a bag to throw out. An unpleasant job! the one at the Lake was an upright as shown on left We then went to Electrolux and I use that brand even today.


Vintage Rug Beater used for area rugs

A Peach Lake Bungalow






One year while doing Spring cleaning I found a baby bird that had fallen out of it's nest. My Dad made a splint for it's wing out of popscicle stick parts and gauze. We got worms to feed it and chopped them up and I fed the little thing water from an eye dropper. We put it in a box with holes and then brought it back to Tarrytown to finish healing much to my Mother's horror! Poor Mom, I was always bringing home some kind of stray kitten, homeless puppy etc. I even came down with Ringworm one time from a kitten I was hugging up to my face, just petting was never enough for me, I had to have my animals up close and personal.. I still do! Sometimes she would allow me to keep them in the basement as my sister had allergies and they would have sent her into an attack. I always longed for a pet and I think that is why I raised Toy Poodles years later. All of my children love animals, but I think especially Todd and his wife CJ .. I think because I sold his pet poodle ... Bad mommy, sorry my precious son... Anyway, here is a picture of Todd who with his friend David who was like part of our family, nursed this bird back to health.

Todd letting bird go ... be "FREE" little bird







As a child I had always loved Disney movies and one of my favorites was Snow White, except for the wicked witch who scared me so badly. But, after I saw that picture I always thought of the song "Whistle While You Work" with Snow White sweeping and preparing the dusty cottage for the Seven Dwarfs... that was how I always felt when we were preparing the bungalow during spring cleaning time!




Snow White
working
and
singing!







Lyrics Whistle While You Work

Just whistle while you work
Put on that grin and start right in to whistle loud and long
Just hum a merry tune
Just do your best and take a rest and sing yourself a song

When there's too much to do
Don't let it bother you, forget your troubles,
Try to be just like a cheerful chick-a-dee

And whistle while you work
Come on get smart, tune up and start
To whistle while you work

Just whistle while you work
And cheerfully together we can tidy up the place
So hum a merry tune
It won't take long when there's a song to help you set the pace

And as you sweep the room
Imagine that the broom is someone that you love
And soon you'll find you're dancing to the tune

(Spoken: Oh, no, no, no, no! Put them in the tub)
When hearts are high the time will fly so whistle while you work

*(Another version)*
Just whistle while you work
Put on that grin and start right in to whistle loud and long
Just hum a merry tune
Just do your best and take a rest and sing yourself a song

When there's too much to do
Don't let it bother you, forget your troubles,
Try to be just like a cheerful chick-a-dee

And whistle while you work
Come on get smart, tune up and start
To whistle while you work


That's Good Advise don't you think? If only we could always keep her attitude in life wouldn't it be grand?!!



©PEACH LAKE MEMORIES 5/21/11
Peach Lake Memories is a 15 Chapter book with vignettes about my childhood memories. It is copyrighted. Please ask for permission before using any information in my book. Thank you .. donnatrex@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment